by: Dharma Singh Khalsa, M.D.
Did you know that you can boost your brain power right now and prevent memory loss later?
This notion of creating a lifetime of peak mental performance is what I call “Brain Longevity,” and has been the focus of my research for over 15 years. So I’m very excited to have you join me as we embark on a voyage to the essence of your being: your brain, your mind, and your memory. The journey of brain longevity will perhaps be the most fascinating and enlightening of your life, as you discover new, heightened levels of brain fitness.
During this extraordinary adventure, I’ll be revealing all the latest medical research, which you can apply right now to be at your best. Yes, you’ll have the brain and memory of a much younger you. You may even feel like a kid again.
When you experience that renewal, you’ll probably feel like a new person. You’ll no longer feel as you do now — like your old self. But you won’t be a different self. You’ll be your real self — the one you know is there deep inside of you, and the one that has been with you since the day you were born. That self may have been beaten and bruised by stress, exhaustion, abuse, toxins, or painful emotions such as frustration, fear, or anger. Nonetheless, after all of this punishment, it’s still there waiting. What’s the secret?
Your brain is flesh and blood, just like the rest of your body.
Now, for a few of you this idea may seem mundane. But for many others it will be a revolutionary epiphany. Why? Because I know from experience that many people think of the brain as a mysterious computer. But remember, your brain isn’t a computer; it’s a flesh and blood organ just like your heart, for example.
And just as there are many scientifically proven, health-giving measures that benefit your heart, there are many ways to benefit your brain as well. Because your brain is flesh and blood like the rest of your body:
- Poor nutrition hurts your brain.
- Chronic, unbalanced stress ruins your memory
- Lack of physical exercise ages your brain and your body.
- Lack of stimulating mental activity accelerates brain aging.
The other day I was reading an article in a leading medical journal. They were discussing the predicted, rapidly emerging epidemic of Alzheimer’s disease. Ten million baby boomers will develop this horrible mind-robbing illness, they revealed. But when it came time to discuss something hopeful, they drew a blank. All they could do was sing that same old tired song about genetics and the search for a magic bullet drug.
Well, let me tell you right here and now: the era of magic bullet drug therapy is over. When it comes to a flesh and blood organ like your brain, there never has been and never shall be one magic bullet drug.
And what about genetics?
While you certainly can’t ignore your genes, the most recent research, which was just revealed at a leading-edge conference I attended at the UCLA Center on Aging, showed that genetics accounts for only 30% of all cases of cognitive decline. The other 70% is related to your life-style.
Yes, you read correctly. How you live your life today will go a long way towards determining the state of your mind and memory tomorrow.
As my cutting edge work reveals, and as I’ll be sharing with you in this and future articles, you can protect and repair your brain with your lifestyle choices. Memory loss can even be reversed using what I call, The Four Pillars of Prevention Program.
That’s what it’s all about: creating ultimate cognitive vitality now and preventing memory loss later. We’ll be covering a lot more of this timely subject in the coming months. Topics will include the latest immediately useful information on diet, supplements, meditation, physical and mental exercise, and much more. It’s going to be a “how to” mind-expanding experience.